Thursday, January 15, 2015

New Dad, Will Write

 A Post By Jonathan

I'd like to apologize ahead of time for the randomness of this post. My newborn son is ten days old today, so I'm claiming new parent brain. It's been an amazing experience so far, seeing me looking back at me, but let's just say I haven't gotten a lot of writing done. It's taken nearly 100% of my energy to make sure I don't drop him or swaddle his little arms and legs into a pretzel. Still waiting for the owners manual to arrive in the mail, but nothing yet. Anybody got the number for UPS?

Despite all this new dad craziness, I have actually managed to think about my writing over the last ten days (and nights... oh, the nights). The thoughts have ranged from "will I ever have the time to write again?" to "man, I should be really be writing... I need to make more money!" But, as new as all this is, I can't help thinking that bringing a child into this world is a little like bringing a book into this world (just don't tell my wife I said that!). Both of them start off as a twinkle in your eye, then they go through numerous drafts, and then suddenly they're ready for their debut. Both require a ton of time and dedication, and constant thoughts about their health and well being. Every time I wake up, I can't help but check to see if the kid's still breathing. I can remember feeling like that about my MS a time or two. Come to think of it, I haven't checked it in a couple of days...

The writing time will come back, this I know. But right now, I'm just trying to enjoy some uninterrupted time with my new little muse. I don't think I'll be getting in my 1,000 words a day anytime soon, but if there's a better reason not to, I haven't found one. Anyway, here's to all you real and book parents out there! Remember to feed your babies, change their diapers, and maybe someday they'll thank you for it.

Okay, gotta run. I think Jonathan Junior may need some more daddy time. Or is that the other way around?
 

8 comments:

Brianna Lebrecht said...

I'm thinking you meant ten DAYS ;) Congrats!

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

"My newborn son is ten years old today,..." Do you mean ten days??
First, congrats!!! I am a lover of babies as I have 3 kids, my youngest is 8 months old. The baby years are my fave. Enjoy your beautiful baby.

Jonathan Schramm said...

You're right! There's that new parent brain at work (I'm so used to telling people that it took me 10 years to write my book, that I think I juxtaposed them...) Made the edit! In my defense, I did apologize ahead of time.

Jonathan Schramm said...

Good catch, Kimberly;) Made the edit. Thanks for the congrats! Oh, you have little ones too?! Do you perhaps have an extra manual sitting around?:)

Carrie Beckort said...

Congrats, Jonathan!! Unfortunately, the parent brain doesn't get better anytime soon :-) You'll find the time, somehow. But as you say, for now - enjoy! And try to sleep...

Unknown said...

wow, so exciting!! congrats!!! don't worry about the writing, just enjoy the little one! :)

Leandra Wallace said...

Ah, chubby baby cheeks just kill me! I want to pinch them!! So glad he's finally here, and you're enjoying being neck deep in all things baby. =) Like you said, the writing will totally wait. And good luck w/that swaddling, we were horrible at it. Our little guy always managed to get out of our best attempts!

Anonymous said...

First of all, awww that face!! T__T Secondly, you writer parents always freak out about not writing. lol Go be New Dad! We and your book forgive you! <3 Third, I call my WIP my baby, so we writers understand. :)

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs