Thursday, June 23, 2016

Music to my ears

To be honest, I have no writerly blog post planned. It's 9pm and I'm watching Hemlock Grove on Netflix. It's an interesting show. Like a dirtier, slower, less sexy version of The Vampire Diaries. It's not....great.

Anyway, let's talk music. I mostly listen to my old shit -- largely 90s alternative music, or new albums from bands that I fell in love with in the 90s (ala The Afghan Whigs, Radiohead, Tori Amos). Only recently have I purchased new music, new as in from this year-ish.

It's not that I don't listen to new music. I have a Sirius subscription I'm pretty committed to. But I don't make a point of purchasing new stuff to listen to on iTunes. Except, lately I have.

Most recently, I bought three new albums that couldn't be more different from each other.

1. Ryan Adam's 1989 -- Yup. He covered Taylor Swift's new album and not in an ironic way. Listen, I love Taylor Swift's lyrics. Put it to Ryan Adams' bluesy, sultry voice and I'm in love. His cover of "Blank Space" is off the hizzou. I highly recommend.

2. Halsey's Badlands -- Okay, Halsey (a fellow Jersey girl) is badass. I found her on YouTube while I was admittedly searching for fanvids of The Raven Cycle (don't judge me). My favorite songs are: Drive, Young Gods, Gasoline, and Colors. She drops the F bomb a lot, something I have to remember when I'm playing her in the car while I drive my kids around. I feel like her music could be the inspiration for a slew of dark YA mysteries. I will channel her for my next project.

3. Troye Sivan's Blue Neighbourhood -- I also found him on YouTube while searching for Halsey music. Don't ask me how they connect. His Blue Neighbourhood video trilogy is romantic, tragic, and flipping amazing -- and it's about two boys in love! I'm smitten with this kid.

Anyway, I swear I'm not this old-sounding in real life. They say your music tastes are fully formed in your high school/college years, which makes sense if you factor in nostalgia. And time. I went to way more concerts in my 20s than I do now. Why the hell are concerts on Tuesday nights? Who can go to those?

What music are you listening to? Suggest me something. I'm open to the possibilities. 


3 comments:

Brenda St John Brown said...

I love Halsey! But, yeah...not so kid-friendly. I think "Gasoline" is my favorite. I like Sia a lot and I've been listening to "Lighthouse" by G.R. L on repeat for no reason whatsoever. Also Rachel Platten's "Lone Ranger" is better than "Fight Song." I'll have to check out your other recommendations. I really like Taylor Swift, but sometimes I need to take it down a notch. Mostly when stuck in traffic. The blues sound kind of perfect for that.

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

I'm gonna check these out now! I love Sia too.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I must confess, my home station is set to 1970s rock, yes the songs of my youth. My car radio is set to contemporary Christian.

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs